Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Height of Comfort


often associated with the cooler seasons: Comfort Food.


comfort food - food that is simply prepared and gives a sense of wellbeing; typically food with a high sugar or carbohydrate content that is associated with childhood or with home cooking. 


I'd like to think that my take on comfort food leans toward the gourmet side; everything I make is from scratch (for the most part, anyway). Below, I will share some of my favorite recipes including modifications that [I think] produces a more desirable outcome. Click on the title to see the recipe. 


MAC CHEESE
my all time fav. this recipe is actually called "Lighter Macaroni and Cheese" but there is nothing "light" about the way I make it. I use a 9" Pyrex glass baking dish instead of the ramekins: who has time for that?! I skip the nutmeg and cayenne and substitute it with a dried Italian herb mix as well as granulated onion and garlic. I always use a pinch of chicken bullion in place of salt whenever possible. sharp or extra sharp cheese will work. depending on how rich you want your mac cheese to be, you can use 2% reduced milk, whole milk, half & half, or heavy cream. I find that store bought bread crumbs work better for this recipe because they tend to be crispier. put the breadcrumbs in a oiled pan with a couple tablespoons of milk and cook until browned before topping the mac cheese. 







GARLIC MASH
try adding a few extra cloves of garlic. you can never have too much garlic! substitute milk for half & half or heavy cream. you can use a steaming basket to cook the potatoes or boil in chicken/veg broth for extra flavor. I use a hand mixer with only one of two beater attachments instead of a masher. Once the potatoes are cooked and mashed, I sprinkle with chopped green onions. If solo, serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese and beef gravy in a martini glass. 








CHICKEN POT PIE

the recipe is not online so if you want to make it, you will have to buy the book. Or message me and I might share with you. ;) It calls for mushrooms but I prefer the traditional carrots, peas and corn. I used Gordon Ramsay's Short Crust Pastry recipe (also in this book). I made the mistake of substituting regular flour for wheat. not a good idea. wheat flour is more dense so you need to use a lot less of it if. ooops!




I changed a lot of things; pretty much just used the recipe as an inspiration. instead of dicing the potatoes, its a lot easier to use a mandolin or the wide slicing blade attachment on the food processor. not to keen on the chunks after the mixture is completely cooked, I'll split it up in a few batches an quickly run each batch through the blender. freezer friendly for up to 2 months. 
















sorry the pic didn't turn out but I'll post one next time I make it... free form meatloaf is the way to go! I find if the onions are very coarsely chopped, they keep the meat moist as it cooks making it virtually impossible to over cook. serve with Garlic Mash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment